Loud pipes laws

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

wngd
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Burlington ON

Loud pipes laws

Post by wngd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

A reference to the "noise police" on another thread got me thinking :brick:

I know the Forks of the Credit area here in ON has had anti-loud pipes bylaws in effect for several years now and were actively enforcing awhile ago. I haven't ridden in the area since and won't. Oakville put in a similar bylaw a year or two ago, my parents live there and I have ridden many times to their place and through the downtown with no issues.

I don't know what exists throughout the country but has anybody had any direct experience or seen a physical crackdown?

I should add that I run Cobra Longs and they are pretty loud on hard throttle but not obnoxious (to me :silence: ) and just nice and rumbly at idle. The noise police did run free checks when the bylaw was coming into effect but I sure didn't attend and I have no idea if my ride is "legal" since I've heard that they are targeting most aftermarket pipes....loud pipes save lives :booty:
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

Image

User avatar
Wolfpack
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by Wolfpack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 pm

AVOID Edmonton -- Gestapo daily set up check stop just to enforce noise bylaw against motorcycle !!!

wngd
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Burlington ON

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by wngd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

I've said before I don't know why they don't target attention deficit texting teenagers (all ages are at fault) that are actually trying to kill people instead of "loud" pipes that kill no one (and yes, may save lives) :think:

Oh, and I was just at a Tim Horton's tonight with maybe 30 bikes. If they were serious about enforcement, there are lots of opportunities there every night. Hopefully they use the bylaw to pull over idiot riders instead of useless targeting.
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

Image

User avatar
RoadWarrior
site maintenance
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm
Location: Wooda-bridga, Ontario

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by RoadWarrior » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 am

What about the cars that have those loud boom-box bass speakers that you hear and feel from a mile away!? What are the bylaws for those? I feel a bit discriminated...
---
Common sense is NOT common...

Image

wngd
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Burlington ON

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by wngd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:What about the cars that have those loud boom-box bass speakers that you hear and feel from a mile away!? What are the bylaws for those? I feel a bit discriminated...
They fall under a similar noise bylaw...not enforced unless the kid or person is being an azz. Yes the mc noise bylaw is targeting and discriminating but you'd hope just for use if you are being an idiot in other ways. If it's roadside checkpoints, it's targeting when they should be going after drunks and texters.
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

Image

User avatar
joeracket
Site Admin
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:36 am
Location: chilliwack, b.c.

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by joeracket » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:44 am

:) :) :) .............. that's why I put the OEM pipe's back on .......... avoid the hassle ............. v&h were freaking loud even to my old deaf ears ...... :) :) :)
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

Image

User avatar
stillflyin
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Bonnyville alberta

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by stillflyin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 am

im straight piped now...go ahead and stop my give me a ticket,,,,loud pipes have saved my life a few times...I will not be taking mine off
Image

Darkside member since Sept 07

User avatar
RoadWarrior
site maintenance
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm
Location: Wooda-bridga, Ontario

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by RoadWarrior » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

:stupid:
---
Common sense is NOT common...

Image

User avatar
McJeep
Posts: 3438
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: Vic

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by McJeep » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 am

joeracket wrote::) :) :) .............. that's why I put the OEM pipe's back on .......... avoid the hassle ............. v&h were freaking loud even to my old deaf ears ...... :) :) :)
:stupid: :stupid:

Not only that but I found that re-introducing the proper back pressure improved performance

Not gonna get into the *if you make sure you are in the right spot in traffic, and brakes take less time than brapping the throttle, and if ya wanna send a message there's always that horn button, and, and, and*

Bottom line = if there wasn't soo many assholes being *obnoxiously* loud and doing it in the wrong place/time, the ire of joe public would never have come down on us, and this discussion wouldn't come up as often as it does.

My .02
2004 1800N Mediochre mileage Oustanding smileage ;0)

Image

wngd
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Burlington ON

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by wngd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm

McJeep wrote:
joeracket wrote::) :) :) .............. that's why I put the OEM pipe's back on .......... avoid the hassle ............. v&h were freaking loud even to my old deaf ears ...... :) :) :)
:stupid: :stupid:

Not only that but I found that re-introducing the proper back pressure improved performance

Not gonna get into the *if you make sure you are in the right spot in traffic, and brakes take less time than brapping the throttle, and if ya wanna send a message there's always that horn button, and, and, and*

Bottom line = if there wasn't soo many assholes being *obnoxiously* loud and doing it in the wrong place/time, the ire of joe public would never have come down on us, and this discussion wouldn't come up as often as it does.

My .02
I agree entirely but the argument for loud pipes is to have to use that braking and horn less often :cool:

And I do........
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

Image

canadian driller
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am
Location: Cranbrook

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by canadian driller » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 am

I got a ticket here in quebec last fall, the policeman took out a tape measure and explained to me that it shouldn't go all the way to the engine, lol. I guess its time for some baffles in there. I guess any baffle will tame down the v&h pipes. He said some riders get a few tickets a year and dont bother changing the exhaust. $100 bucks each ticket. I didn't have room to haul the stock exhaust across the country when I moved here so.....
Image

Drtchmp180
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:11 am
Location: Sawyerville Quebec

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by Drtchmp180 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 am

canadian driller wrote:I got a ticket here in quebec last fall, the policeman took out a tape measure and explained to me that it shouldn't go all the way to the engine, lol. I guess its time for some baffles in there. I guess any baffle will tame down the v&h pipes. He said some riders get a few tickets a year and dont bother changing the exhaust. $100 bucks each ticket. I didn't have room to haul the stock exhaust across the country when I moved here so.....
Are these the same intelligent cops that measure stock handlebar height and ticket you for bars too high ?

Drtchmp180
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:11 am
Location: Sawyerville Quebec

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by Drtchmp180 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 am

I do agree that some pipes are just too loud but we all know that motorcycle laws are made by people who wouldn't know one end of a motorcycle from the other and that noisy vehicles save a lot of unnecessary road kill!I'm an animal lover and will go out of my way to avoid them.Smashed up vehicles,even bikes are replaceable,LIVES ARE NOT! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.(We even have language police in Quebec,how rediculous is that!) Dave. :mad:

Ironhorse17
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Gatineau QC

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by Ironhorse17 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:13 am

In my city limits if the cops stop you for loud pipes they only look for the DOT number if it is not there give you a ticket for modifying stock exhaust, pay the ticket and have 48 hours to put back the DOT model and safety.
Image

User avatar
hammerman
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Trenton Ont.

Re: Loud pipes laws

Post by hammerman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Loud pipes ??? Live in Trenton and have a F-18 blast off the end of the runway ,
at full military power with the afterburner kicked in and go over town at 500 ft.

Really Officer, what friken noise????

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests