maintenance

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

canadian driller

maintenance

Post by canadian driller » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi everybody. I have 35,000kms on her now. Assuming nothing other then oil changes what should be done for maintenance? The shop in BC told me not to worry about the valve setting yet at 30,000km. Suggestions?

hammerman

Re: maintenance

Post by hammerman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Check your shock bushings for wear ,out of round or cracking.
Brake and clutch fluid clear?? If cloudy or coloured--drain and re-fill. Bleed as needed.
Steering head bearings ? jack it up and push&pull on front wheel . If it moves--snug up the upper stem bolt.
Check on the VXTOA for other minor tweeks.

Hammer

canadian driller

Post by canadian driller » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 am

So should I be concerned about the valve settings yet?

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 am

canadian driller wrote:So should I be concerned about the valve settings yet?

:think: :think: :think: .......... for your own peace of mind have them checked ......... I have just over 90,000 km on mine and had them checked twice so far .......... valves settings were right on both times and did not require adjustment ........... prepare to leave the bike in the shop over night ......... motor must be cold when checking the valves ........... a little pricey ....... paid just over $300.00 both times ...... however it is a job I'm not willing to tackle by myself and they do have to pull the tank ......... :) :) :)

...... check the link if you are going to tackle the job on your own ...........

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/ ... -vtx-1800/
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

wngd

Post by wngd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Valves were supposed to be adjusted/checked at 8000 miles I believe. I did mine with help at a tech session in OH a few weeks ago and they were out slightly. I would gladly pay $300 for someone else to do them next time, it was a huge pain in the azz.

Oil and filter, clutch and brake fluid, rad and rear diff I would change all. Oil every year, the rest every two years.
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm

hammerman wrote:Check your shock bushings for wear ,out of round or cracking.
Brake and clutch fluid clear?? If cloudy or coloured--drain and re-fill. Bleed as needed.
Steering head bearings ? jack it up and push&pull on front wheel . If it moves--snug up the upper stem bolt.
Check on the VXTOA for other minor tweeks.

Hammer
:stupid:
Shock bushings may be worn, if you replace them, get the green ones... Also, you may want to check your brake pads as well, especially the rear brakes.
---
Common sense is NOT common...

canadian driller

Post by canadian driller » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 pm

The shock bushings were done last year and the diff oil. I just checked the brakes before my last trip. Engine oil change every 5000kms. Im thinking going full synthetic this next time. But if i do the vavles thats the time to do the ground fix too right? Tank off, if i remember thats where the ground problem is.....

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I only use synthetic oil and I also change the final drive oil when I change the engine oil....
---
Common sense is NOT common...

wngd

Post by wngd » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 pm

canadian driller wrote:The shock bushings were done last year and the diff oil. I just checked the brakes before my last trip. Engine oil change every 5000kms. Im thinking going full synthetic this next time. But if i do the vavles thats the time to do the ground fix too right? Tank off, if i remember thats where the ground problem is.....
Yes and yes :razz:
WNGD
VTX 1800 Custom. HD SG 8 speaker fairing, QQ dragger bags and drop fender, 4 piece Ultimate seats, so much chrome I can't go home.

canadian driller

Post by canadian driller » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:57 am

Ok so I'm thinking that I'm starting to have the ground issue. Wants to quit, sputtering once in awhile. Especially when accelerating from a red light. Thought it was bad gas after a wet ride and fill up in a monsoon but that was a few tanks ago. So what is exactly the ground issue? Motor to frame, battery to frame, both? Can I get away with a jumper wire till I have the time to pull the tank? The weather is too nice finally to have the down time lol......

canadian driller

Post by canadian driller » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:53 am

joeracket wrote:
canadian driller wrote:So should I be concerned about the valve settings yet?

:think: :think: :think: .......... for your own peace of mind have them checked ......... I have just over 90,000 km on mine and had them checked twice so far .......... valves settings were right on both times and did not require adjustment ........... prepare to leave the bike in the shop over night ......... motor must be cold when checking the valves ........... a little pricey ....... paid just over $300.00 both times ...... however it is a job I'm not willing to tackle by myself and they do have to pull the tank ......... :) :) :)

...... check the link if you are going to tackle the job on your own ...........

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/ ... -vtx-1800/

Great link for all the mods while the tank is off. I guess I should be making a list of parts to order to do desmog too. Thanks. Maybe I could get hammerman to help with a list and where to get everything. The par valves I assume need to be done at the same time. Looks like a weekend project.....