Brake Squeak After Replacement

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

Scully

Brake Squeak After Replacement

Post by Scully » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 pm

I replaced the front brakes pads and now have a squeak from the left side. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks
2002 1800C

Wolfpack

Re: Brake Squeak After Replacement

Post by Wolfpack » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Did you clean the disc before replacing if so does the turn freely after replacement , if so probably done rught give it a couple 100km and then recheck, alternately get louder pipes

joeracket
Site Admin

Post by joeracket » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:29 pm

:think: :think: :think: ......just wondering if you had the wheel off.........if so..... check the link to bareass choppers ............. at the very end refers to proper positioning of the axle in the forks .......... if not in properly it will cause brake drag which could be the reason for the squealing :think: :think: :think:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wheels- ... -vtx-1800/

incorrect

correct

Now step away from the service manual and use a procedure recommended by Showtime56 of the VTXOA.
There are problems associated with brake rotor drag, specifically on the left of the bike. These problems arise from improper spacing when installing the axle and tightening the axle pinch bolts – specifically on the left side. Using original OEM parts, the right side dimensions are set and cannot be adjusted, so the right side brake clearance is not an issue.
Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

Chumbly

Post by Chumbly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Yep, just had the same problem with mine...with same fix. :think:

Still alive and Free....riding on three
'02 1800C "triked"

Scully

Post by Scully » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Did you clean the disc before replacing if so does the turn freely after replacement , if so probably done rught give it a couple 100km and then recheck, alternately get louder pipes
I did clean this disc and it does turn freely. Maybe I will give it a little longer. The pipes are already loud but I could always go louder :)
joeracket wrote::think: :think: :think: ......just wondering if you had the wheel off.........if so..... check the link to bareass choppers ............. at the very end refers to proper positioning of the axle in the forks .......... if not in properly it will cause brake drag which could be the reason for the squealing :think: :think: :think:
No I did it with the wheel on, but I will check the positioning of the axel just in case.

Thanks
2002 1800C