Rear Shocks

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

grizzlygar

Rear Shocks

Post by grizzlygar » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Is anyone running the Progressive rear shocks either the 412 or the 430, if so what is your opinion on them. I am kind of leaning towards the 430 s at 11.5" long in the heavy duty version . But I like the price of the 412 s but I cant find them in the HD's. Thanks

joeracket
Site Admin

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by joeracket » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 am

:) :) :) .......... 11.5" progressives ............ look good .......... work great ........ lower than stock ....... :) :) :)

Image IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS & LEOS - FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!! Image

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks Moe, I am hoping it will still be ok with two up. From what I have read it should be all good. I did e mail Progressive with a few questions.

Dirt Road

Post by Dirt Road » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 am

I bought a set of used 440 standards from someone a few years back. Progressive sent me HD springs for something like $25 each and told me the lifetime warranty & everything had transfered over. I dunno about the 412s or 430s but the 440s have been amazing and so has the customer service.

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks Dirt Road, I have decided to go with the 430 series but not sure if I should go standard or HD. Progressive said I should be good with the standards but I need to find out for sure what my Tsukayu patrol bags weigh , more work to do. lol. Why did Progressive send you HD springs, did you upgrade to them. If so how was the change in the ride. :cheers:

Dirt Road

Post by Dirt Road » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:37 pm

The standards at full preload were still a lil too soft. Especially when we tend to do a ton of 2 up + tourpak riding. The HDs simply gave it more breathing room. The ride quality is amazing, even moreso after I put in the matching fork springs.

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:03 pm

First off thanks again Dave and sorry for all the questions, but one more, lol. How is the ride with the HD spring when you ride solo. As for the more breathing room that's why I was kinda leaning to the HD's but don't want it to harsh when solo as the wife has her own bike but once in a while she like's to hop on mine as a passanger.

Dirt Road

Post by Dirt Road » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:31 pm

One up it's a lil stiffer than i would like, but that's my own damn fault. See, I dialed it in so it's perfect 2 up.. then I went and put the VN Custom drop set rear end on it which makes adjusting preload very, very, very impossible. If I could turn out the preload a turn or two for 1 up, it would be absolutely perfect. This is why I wanna switch to air, then I can adjust on the fly.

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks again Dave. :cheers:

Dirt Road

Post by Dirt Road » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:01 pm

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 am

Ok so with careful consideration and lot of lookin on the internet and lots of question I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Progressive 430 series shocks from Canada Motorcycle. Thanks again for everyone's help. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

grizzlygar

Post by grizzlygar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Got my shocks in Friday (earlier than estimated) easy install, turned the preload up on the springs to the second notch , than the test ride. Man the bike rides like a dream, no more noise from the shock covers vibrating on the spring and most of all the ride is just amazing.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I am very happy with my purchase and the service from Canada Motorcycle .

Cat

Post by Cat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 am

great to see, another satisfied Progressive" rider. :cheers: :cool:
It's NOT about the destination........ The Journey is what counts. :cool:
and,
If the Sun is at your back, and the wind is your creation... It's a good day. :)
Image Image
Need Amsoil for yer ride? Contact me.
:dance: :cheers::think:
Bauline East, Newfoundland!!!!!! DONE like a bottle of Schreech at a newfie campfire
MISSED VICTORIA :cry:
Clic here for map of ....
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think::think:
Hmmm, over 103,000 km on my '04 1300C :think:
Left on a journey with my girlfriend, came home with my wife :think: :lol:
Hint: clic on the blue text :wink:

Weather forecasts

Cat's Journey
- Visit my blog page - Cat's Lair
clic on the WWW button below

Chumbly

Post by Chumbly » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm

I had the 440HDs,(I'm a big guy :wink: ), when I was on two wheels. They gave me a far better ride...no more wallowing in the corners...like riding a completely different bike....IMHO. :wink: I have air bags and shocks now...not really liking the airbags (I can't get them to stop leaking). :think:

Still alive and Free....riding on three
'02 1800C "triked"

Dirt Road

Post by Dirt Road » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Did you buy a particular brand, Chumbly? I've looked mostly at the Arnott set up.. but these new kids on the block, Backyard AIr Suspension seem pretty cool. Bout 5-600 for the whole set up, lotsa ppl on FB have bought from them & really like them (so far).