Engine seems normal temp, but pipes are extremely hot ?

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

The Zombie

Engine seems normal temp, but pipes are extremely hot ?

Post by The Zombie » Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 am

Hi,
I am running Hardcore pipes on my VTX 1300C and have noticed that they have become extremely hot lately. I am not able to put my hand close to them, yet the cylinder heads and all motor parts seem to be running at normal temps and can be touched by hand after a ride. I thought the bike was running hot and was beginning to check all of the cooling parts when I noticed it is the exhaust that is emanating all of the heat. I even noticed the other day that one of the side covers , {which runs very close to the rear pipe} has a small heat indentation in it.
Anyone run into this situation or have any suggestion ?
Thanks ! :think:

Bam Bam

Re: Engine seems normal temp, but pipes are extremely hot ?

Post by Bam Bam » Mon May 09, 2016 1:51 am

Welcome to the forum Zombie.
Sounds like you are running too lean of fuel/air mixture, which will burn very hot, damn carberator's. When aftermarket pipes or intake are added, you will most likely have to rejet the carbs to supply more fuel. The cooling system will work harder to maintain the engine temp, but the real heat shows in the pipes, and make no mistake, it will melt your sidecover right off, your exhaust valves will prolly be toast about the same time..
I'm sure Hammerman can tell you exactly which size jets you should be using. good luck.

hammerman

Post by hammerman » Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 pm

as I remember, it was on bareasschoppers site, they had a good write-up on this problem.
And check the exhaust flange bolts, as sometimes a leak there will cause a leanout condition.

Chumbly

Post by Chumbly » Sat May 14, 2016 3:46 pm

I know there was something mentioned once on the bigger site, about the stock pipes being better made... being able to absorb and distribute heat better as well as noise...just a thought. :think:

Still alive and Free....riding on three
'02 1800C "triked"