Darksiders Sound Off!!!!!

Tips, Tricks, Mods, Maintenance questions and answers go on this board.

Moderators: joeracket, Bam Bam, RoadWarrior, mr.biker, Cat

McJeep

Darksiders Sound Off!!!!!

Post by McJeep » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Welllllll, apparently I picked up a nail about 20 minutes shy of the ferry on my way home from the moose. I know when it happened as she started handling different - not brutal, but different. Slowed the fukk down and nursed her to the ferry and then home. Headed out to Illinois for fambly emergency. :(

Got back to BC and the handling difference was very apparent - the back she's flat like the pan cake ;)

Not a fan of plugs but having the local stealer do that for me today - to get back on the road

Thinking real hard on darkside but would rather hear solid opinions from people I know and trust rather than opinionated blowhards on the big board - no way to know who is fullashyt and who knows their shyt LOL

Sooooooo, how do ya like it? Better characteristics and worse please. 1800 Neo specific would be awesome (Les? Danny?) Did ya have to mount them by hand or could u find a shop to do it? Balancing? Dynabeads??

Bring it folks - remember, I've been running venoms and running em hard so if the handling safety is of any concern, I would rather stick with my overpriced fukn Avons ;) ;)

Thanks in advance
Rob
2004 1800N Mediochre mileage Oustanding smileage ;0)

hammerman

Re: Darksiders Sound Off!!!!!

Post by hammerman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Yo Jeep; I run a Bridgestone Potenza Rain tire, a 205-60-16.
handles like it` s on rails, sucks the bike into the ground on hard braking and loves dirt roads.
Tar snakes on pavement are now completely ignored, no squirming and running behind a transport
on the highway--no wind wag !
Only downside is more effort on turn in as you initiate a curve (maybe 10% ) more effort.
Hard take-offs, you may pick up the front end 3-4 inchs and powershifts into second will
tend to lift off too ! Added bonus--you can squeal the tire and put fear into the gang at Timmies!
Check with Goalbird as he ran a Goodyear and he would burn the pegs off conering.
If you do swap over, get an empty parking lot and play with it to get use to the feel.
Also, yer passenger will notice a smoother ride !
48,000 on mine and still good for another couple of seasons. :cheers:
Hammer It. Life`s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserve skin....
but to skid in sideways,totally wornout ,shouting
HOLY SHIT.. What A RIDE ! !

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:09 pm

I ran a dark side then went back to a bike tire. Hammer is correct in that the bike turns different. Pro's and cons to both tires. Personally I didn't like the way the bike handled and went back. Albeit, I really didn't have a proper car tire on my bike.

Also, you may find it difficult to find someone to mount the car tire. If you decide to go dark side, I suggest you line that up before you buy the car tire.
---
Common sense is NOT common...

Wolfpack

Post by Wolfpack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:27 pm

well McJeep , I have thought about it about a 10000 times over the past 10 years . Then I look at my college diploma in Electronics and think about the Engineering degrees the designers of the motorcycle have and the post degree training and testing that they go threw. Then I think of that 1 turn in a 1000 that I might be a bit to fast into , that's about when I head to the dealer and buy another motorcycle tire!

RandyGuy

Post by RandyGuy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am

Was told , if you get into an accident and your insurer see's a car tire on your bike, your policy is null & void !
ImageImage
I am what I am and that's all that I am !

McJeep

Post by McJeep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Pssssst, guys, the thread is so I can hear what darksiders I *know* have to say on the topic - I've already done a boatload of reading on the possibles and the negatives etc. and your points are noted

I thought you WERE running DS Les - sorry bout that

Like to hear from Big Dave and Danny etc here - wake up you two!! :lol:

McJeep

Post by McJeep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm

@ Hammer ... YOU got 48,000 out of a tire??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should last anyone else about 548,000 then huh? :wink: :lol: :lol:

hammerman

Post by hammerman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Yup, wore out 2 avon Venom R front tires, and still on the Darkside on the back.

And as for insurance not covering you, my guy said, " DOT tire on a DOT rim, what`s the problem?"

And back in the day, Harleys came from the factory on Car tires!
Hammer It. Life`s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserve skin....
but to skid in sideways,totally wornout ,shouting
HOLY SHIT.. What A RIDE ! !

RandyGuy

Post by RandyGuy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:08 pm

I had a Yokohama Envigor CT on my bike for 4 years, put 20,000 miles on it. Rode to east coast, then to west coast , riding 2up, pulling a trailer. Tire wants to stand bike uprite, you have to give a constant pressure to the bars during cornering. I could keep up no problem with others during spirited rides. I found 35 psi was good for me, some said use 40 ,others said 30 but I was afraid the sidewall would buckel. Much improved acceleration & decelleration, better handling on rough roads. Bike would wander a bit on uneven roads, found riding in the centre of the lane made it easier to control.

I damaged the tire last year, still looked new but a slashed sidewall meant a new tire. Hard time to get an installer for a new one so I went back to a Avon BT. Bike so much more flickable now and effortless corners. Seems like a different bike.

My opinion is ,if your just cruising around and touring, the CT is the best. If your pushing it to the limit in the twisties I prefer a MT.

JMOWTFDIK !

Bam Bam

Post by Bam Bam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Right now I am running a Toyo Proxes R1R . Second car tire I have had on, 1 st one only lasted 8000ks, got a nail through the sidewall. :(
If you were to ride the bike and not know it was a car tire, it might fool you, they do handle the corners very well, definately on rails. Very nice in the wet as well, great braking. I do have to fight it a bit in places like the Canyon where there are deep heavy vehicle tire impressions in the asphalt. Not that big a deal though.
Complaints... hard to spin it. Mega traction. Not great for drifting corners... less fun....too much traction. :(
I would say they are very safe to run. I have let a few try it out and they are amazed with the performance.
I did get myself into a wobble recently, bit scary. However I was doing 200ks and entered a crosswind, may not have been the tires fault. Just eased off the juice.
I would highly recommend giving one a try Rob.

McJeep

Post by McJeep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:04 pm

What size Bammer? they don't do 205/60 in those

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:43 am

Ok told myself I would not reply, but what the hell.

I'v been running CT for about 10 years now. A couple of years on the VTX's & the balance on the Wing.

On the X while I ran it, I was not in love with it. First you have the X's handling by itself. It is a top heavy bike & does not take well to that type of change. Trust me, I tried 3-4 various types of CT. Yep you can claim longer lasting tires etc etc. If you run a normal CT, forget millage, I threw them away every 2-3 years due to sidewall flexing even though I had a lot of tread left. Some of the issue's become, what PSI to run etc. etc. A lot of people jack up their pressure in a CT to 40 plus.
Wrong in my opinion, due to the fact that they can't get used to the " squishy " feeling that the CT tends to give you while riding the curves. I ran/run a max. of 33 psi (depending on what kind of tire) & found overall that to be the best. The people that run in the 40+ range are just trying to overcome the feeling that the CT gives you & ends up reducing the overall positive features of the CT. In other words trying to get it to become the shape of a MC. We have a saying, if you can't stand the squish, don't make the switch. People try their best to purchase a CT that has the most rounded shape possible. Then jack up the pressure to make it even more like a CT. Except for the $ savings, why make the switch?

On the Wings ! Act of LOVE. The Wing has a VERY low counter steer as it is. Lets say 0%. Put a CT on them & it changes to a 1% at the most. You still get the squishy feeling on curves & at low speed, (with the 33 psi range & with a normal CT) but none of the 10-20-30 % increased counter steer.

If you go to a RUN FLAT CT whole different ball game. You remove some of comfort feeling you get on a normal CT & your ride roughness increases. Gas millage goes down also.

Without typing pages on this, if I still had an X would I do it again? Perhaps, is all I can say - at best. Yes you save money etc. etc. Is money all you care about?

To compound the issue, I overall believe that $$$ aside that a CT is safer tire, gives you better handleing, conering, stopping & reduces hydroplaning. What it comes down to is what type of bike you have & can you have a comfort level with this new " feeling ". Possible insurance issues aside

To let the cat out of the bag so to speak, I have just purchased my 2nd Wing (used) It comes with MC tires & I am leaving them on to see/feel the old feeling again. Will I stay with MC's? Don't know. Like I said, I have been running CT's for well over 10 years now.

What is comes down to is - what type of bike - what type of tire - what is your main purpose in going CT - (if it's just to save money - stick with a MC)

As Randy said, If you are touring go with the CT. If you are doing a lot of twisties run a MC tire.

Hope this helps

Dave
It's time to quit when you can't get your leg over the seat. AND ONLY THEN !!

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:45 am

hammerman wrote:Yup, wore out 2 avon Venom R front tires, and still on the Darkside on the back.

And as for insurance not covering you, my guy said, " DOT tire on a DOT rim, what`s the problem?"

And back in the day, Harleys came from the factory on Car tires!

What it DOES NOT SAY is " MC " - on all motorcycle tires you will find stamped into the tire MC.

Think about that & what is means.

" just saying "
It's time to quit when you can't get your leg over the seat. AND ONLY THEN !!

McJeep

Post by McJeep » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks Dave - all well covered.

That said, considering my playground out here, and my riding style (hehe evil grin), looks like I'm coughing up for another Cobra. The whole plug thing is not comfy and I'm almost down to the bars anyway sooooo

Thanks all! Appreciate the input!
R

McJeep

Post by McJeep » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:26 pm

New rubber be here in a week :) Canada's Motorcycle had some pretty decent pricing - hundred $ cheaper than my local parts guy and he was 100 lower than msrp - 272 vs 365 appeals to the Scot in me blood ;)

Just have to babysit the plugged one till new gets here - hmmmmmmmm, have never pissed the neighbours off with a burnout before ... LMAO :evil: :evil: