Steve Hillary Memorial Ride - July 23

Post rides in your area on this forum.

Moderators: RoadWarrior, joeracket, Bam

Mikester

Re: Steve Hillary Memorial Ride - July 23

Post by Mikester »

I'm tentative as I'm about to become a grandfather any day now, today is her due date!

If all goes well I'll be there and I may bring another rider with me who incidentally will be joining us at Fort Frances.

As for a route, I just found a copy of Steve's 2011 spring ride. As I recall we ended up having lunch at Turkey Point. I thought it would be nice to share.

Follow the link below.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~vtx_rated/X%20Ri ... 0Steve.jpg

2008 GL1800 Black
2002 VTX1800R Black
2002 VTX 1800R Illusion Blue
1981 CB750F Silver

Dirt Road
Iron Butt

Post by Dirt Road »

Very cool. I think that might have been the 1st ride I did with you guys. Not sure, I know for sure it was a Steve ride, I definitely remember this ride in particular but not 100% sure it was the first.

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior »

Big Dave wrote:Holy Crapola - VTX is laughing his head off right now. Much longer in planning & the ride will be over before we get the details. @#!!%$ go to the 40 creek place for a warm up then to a waterfall or two (no more) then back for a cold one. Some of us got a 3 hour ride each way. - LOL, Us old farts are not looking forward to another 4 hours of riding when we get there! Me anyway.

Its not the ride, nor the route, it is to remember Steve. If I just sat around talking about the good times I had with him, that would be fine with me.

As Steve would say - " Just saying "
or

" just my two cents "

:)
I'll bring you some Midol....Just Saying....
---
Common sense is NOT common...

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior »

Mikester wrote:I'm tentative as I'm about to become a grandfather any day now, today is her due date!

If all goes well I'll be there and I may bring another rider with me who incidentally will be joining us at Fort Frances.

As for a route, I just found a copy of Steve's 2011 spring ride. As I recall we ended up having lunch at Turkey Point. I thought it would be nice to share.

Follow the link below.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~vtx_rated/X%20Ri ... 0Steve.jpg

Mike...this is fantastic, THANK YOU....I remember this ride, I even have pictures of our stops...

I have a look at it deeper and see what we can incorporate...
---

Big Dave
Iron Butt

Post by Big Dave »

I'm going to change my name to the Midol. man

LOL
It's time to quit when you can't get your leg over the seat. AND ONLY THEN !!

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior »

I punched the original Steve spring ride details that Mikester provided into the GPS to get an idea of what the route looks like. It looks to be just over 100km. 40 Creek is not in this route. Here is the map:

Here's a picture of Steve's spring ride at Turkey Point in 2012

Here's a pic of the look-out on Syndenham road from this ride we did in 2012

Mike and I are working out some minor changes due to traffic, construction and road conditions that have changed since 2011/2012.
---

Cat
Hard Core

Post by Cat »

It's NOT about the destination........ The Journey is what counts. :cool:
and,
If the Sun is at your back, and the wind is your creation... It's a good day. :)
Image Image
Need Amsoil for yer ride? Contact me.
:dance: :cheers::think:
Bauline East, Newfoundland!!!!!! DONE like a bottle of Schreech at a newfie campfire
MISSED VICTORIA :cry:
Clic here for map of ....
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think::think:
Hmmm, over 103,000 km on my '04 1300C :think:
Left on a journey with my girlfriend, came home with my wife :think: :lol:
Hint: clic on the blue text :wink:

Weather forecasts

Cat's Journey
- Visit my blog page - Cat's Lair
clic on the WWW button below

terrybeb

Post by terrybeb »

Tara Hillary and myself will be attending this event as well baring any unforeseen work events getting in our way. I would request a new post header with start location time and route possibly for clarity.
thanks Terry :)

Big Dave
Iron Butt

Post by Big Dave »

Looks like it may become difficult for me to get there. I want to help my son do some large construction work late Sat. & all day on Sun (rental eq. involved) & without knowing any details of the ride I am going to have to go ahead & make a call about attending today or tomorrow at the latest.

Wow, sure a long time to ride a couple of roads - LOL

Suggestion, how about we meet. Have a cup of coffee then go for a toot. Say for an hour then another place for a bite to eat & then on our way for the people that have some 2 1/2 hours to get home.

" just saying "

(to quote Steve)

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Re: Steve Hillary Memorial Ride - July 23 10am- Hwy5 & 6

Post by RoadWarrior »

All,

I have modified the route a bit and knocked off some time. I also changed the Subject line to include time and meeting place (I am limited with # of characters). The ride is about 90km in total. I know that the location may be far for a few folks but this was Steve's stomping grounds and I want to stay true to Steve's original ride routes. If others have concerns with the distance/route please chime up now. I have a Garmin GPX file if anyone is interested, just PM me with your email address and I will respond with the GPX file.

Details:
Rally point at the Tim Hortons beside the Petro Canada at hwy 5 & 6
Stands up at 10am on Saturday.
Destination is Turkey Point Hotel

I have reserved some space at Turkey Point Hotel outdoor patio for us and if parking is tight, we can also park at the hotel next door (Sun Tan Motel) as it is the same owner for both properties. We can grab a bite to eat, enjoy a cold beverage and remember a friend. For those who need to leave, this will be the end of the ride and you can head back to hwy 6 north, via Port Dover, and that will take you to all the highways as you continue north on Hwy 6 (403, QEW, 401)

Personally I will be going to the 40 Creek Distillery from Turkey Point for a supply run and anyone who would like to tag along is more than welcome! That run is about 100km.

See you on Saturday...

---

Boone
Iron Butt

Post by Boone »

I hope you all have a great ride. I will be thinking of you and hoisting one for Steve. I have to head north on Saturday so can't make it. At least I'll be riding. :cool:
Aways put your brain in gear before you let the clutch out on your mouth.

Big Dave
Iron Butt

Re: Steve Hillary Memorial Ride - July 23 10am- Hwy5 & 6

Post by Big Dave »

You don't know how bad I feel. With the possible rain coming in & the construction eq. coming on Sat. I will have to miss this one. GREAT ROUTE planned. I can remember that day so well. Great food, great ride with friends & Steve.

At the very least, I will be tipping my head back with a Bud lite in the evening.

I do have something for Steve's family from our last ride together - Victoria B.C - The next time we get together, they are in the bike & I will pass them on. I know Steve would have liked that.

Ride safe, have a great day & hoist one for me in the memory of our friend " Steve "

Dave

RoadWarrior wrote:All,

I have modified the route a bit and knocked off some time. I also changed the Subject line to include time and meeting place (I am limited with # of characters). The ride is about 90km in total. I know that the location may be far for a few folks but this was Steve's stomping grounds and I want to stay true to Steve's original ride routes. If others have concerns with the distance/route please chime up now. I have a Garmin GPX file if anyone is interested, just PM me with your email address and I will respond with the GPX file.

Details:
Rally point at the Tim Hortons beside the Petro Canada at hwy 5 & 6
Stands up at 10am on Saturday.
Destination is Turkey Point Hotel

I have reserved some space at Turkey Point Hotel outdoor patio for us and if parking is tight, we can also park at the hotel next door (Sun Tan Motel) as it is the same owner for both properties. We can grab a bite to eat, enjoy a cold beverage and remember a friend. For those who need to leave, this will be the end of the ride and you can head back to hwy 6 north, via Port Dover, and that will take you to all the highways as you continue north on Hwy 6 (403, QEW, 401)

Personally I will be going to the 40 Creek Distillery from Turkey Point for a supply run and anyone who would like to tag along is more than welcome! That run is about 100km.

See you on Saturday...

hammerman
Hard Core

Post by hammerman »

Not meaning to kick anyone in the ass, but DD asked me last night-- you still doing the Ride for Steve?
Temperatue up in high 90`s, chance of thunder storms and T.O traffic?

My reply; Steve would have done it for me.

`nuff said.

Hammer

Sandy Mike
Iron Butt

Post by Sandy Mike »

Will see folks there Sat morning. For those heading back via 40 Creek that is about 15 min from our place and you are welcome to stop in here, sit on the deck, have a bite and a cold drink
2016 Harley Ultra Ltd
2004 Springer Softail

RoadWarrior
site maintenance

Post by RoadWarrior »

hammerman wrote:Not meaning to kick anyone in the ass, but DD asked me last night-- you still doing the Ride for Steve?
Temperatue up in high 90`s, chance of thunder storms and T.O traffic?

My reply; Steve would have done it for me.

`nuff said.

Hammer

Weather is shaping up to be a fine day on Saturday, around 30 and no rain. It is supposed to rain on Friday instead....
---