Route 66 Trip

Post rides in your area on this forum.

Moderators: RoadWarrior, joeracket, Bam

Wolfman

Route 66 Trip

Post by Wolfman »

Well its in the works, this summer our road trip is Route 66. It's going to be a great ride, camping and the bikes it does not get any better.

Anybody done this trip? Any tips on spots to see or what to avoid?
Back in the Saddle Again. 2013 Street Glide.

VTX-Al
Iron Butt

Re: Route 66 Trip

Post by VTX-Al »

Wolfman wrote:Well its in the works, this summer our road trip is Route 66. It's going to be a great ride, camping and the bikes it does not get any better.

Anybody done this trip? Any tips on spots to see or what to avoid?
As I understand it, Rte 66 doesn't actually exist any longer, however there is still the route from Chicago to LA with "chunks" of the old 66 and nostalgic locales and route signs along the way for touristy type experiences. a Google of "rte 66" will reveal a ton of info, including formal guided trips. 'Course, as they say - "that'll cost ya !!".

...VTX-AL
When you come to a fork in the road - take it !!!

Skuleman

Post by Skuleman »

Catch some old episodes of Diners dives and Drive-ins on the food channel. I seem to remember him doing a couple of episodes on eateries on that route.

mr.biker
Iron Butt

Post by mr.biker »

Your right Al, the route is split up and some parts here and there.

Saw it last summer on my travels through the US.

Enjoy the ride

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Yes I know it is not all there but there is lots of road still left. You can go all the way from Chicago to LA on it. We have got books and maps on the trip but there is nothing like getting information on sites and places not to miss from riders who have been on it.

Sandy Mike
Iron Butt

Post by Sandy Mike »

I am envious, that trip is on my bucket list as well. The only stretch we have ridden is the section from Kingman Arizona through to Laughlin Nevada, which takes you through the little town of Oatman. That is a must do section, just spectacular scenery, nice riding - I just can't imagine "Dad" in a 50's station wagon with armstrong steering and towing an old airstream doing sections of that road at more than a crawl, but it is worth going slow just to see it. Here are a few pics we took when we did it in December 2010.

You just gotta get a pic of a 66 sign!

Just loved the ride, and looking forward to doing other sections of it as time and money permits - enjoy your trip.

Oh, and make sure you arrive in Oatman hungry, they make the best burgers in a little restaurant there....
2016 Harley Ultra Ltd
2004 Springer Softail

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Sandy Mike wrote:I am envious, that trip is on my bucket list as well. The only stretch we have ridden is the section from Kingman Arizona through to Laughlin Nevada, which takes you through the little town of Oatman. That is a must do section, just spectacular scenery, nice riding - I just can't imagine "Dad" in a 50's station wagon with armstrong steering and towing an old airstream doing sections of that road at more than a crawl, but it is worth going slow just to see it. Here are a few pics we took when we did it in December 2010.

You just gotta get a pic of a 66 sign!

Just loved the ride, and looking forward to doing other sections of it as time and money permits - enjoy your trip.

Oh, and make sure you arrive in Oatman hungry, they make the best burgers in a little restaurant there....
Thanks for the well wishes and pictures, we are getting more and more excited with every one of them. It is going to be the ride of a life time. My buddy and I just put Oatman as on of our lunch stops. We will have lots of pictures and video of the trip. Thats funny with the donkeys walking right down the main drag.

Beachhondas

Post by Beachhondas »

rode this way 3 o4 times, from wasga to phoenix. Tried a few times to stay on 66, but it goes a few miles and merges back onto the interstare or dissappears. Goes through a few towns and they have museums and nostalgic spots- Amarillo TX, Williams AZ, La Ouas NM,
Las Vegas.
I once picked it uo in Jopln Missouri, followed it into Kanasa for about 60 miles, and it just dissappeared, spent a few hours on buck F** nowhere kansas, navigating back to Oklahoma and the interstate.
Having said that, along the general route 40/66 lots of great scenery,
particulary west of st louis.
"Life is a Beach"

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Just looking at these pictures and getting excited for my turn on the route.

A friend of mine told me a funny story of his ride on the route last sept. he said if you hit a person in Oatman its an okay mistake. Hit a donkey its off to jail. :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

Sandy Mike
Iron Butt

Post by Sandy Mike »

Yeah the burro's are funny and a real tourist attraction. Things are like rabbits, pop up everywhere. They even follow you into the stores cuz the stores sell bags of burro feed - so when you come out with a bag of anything in your hand they think it is for them. Some of the stores had little spray bottles on the entry doors to squirt them in the face to keep them out.

We may hit it again during our ride this summer just for the heck of it. Not fully fleshed out yet but on our maybe list.
2016 Harley Ultra Ltd
2004 Springer Softail

Clyde
Iron Butt

Post by Clyde »

I'd do route 66. Might use my own compass.
Honda yellow 2008 VTX 1300
Candy red '04 1300C w/ MS 19" shield & lowers, Kury grips, RH slip on's, Wishmasterg riser, Ultimate Midrider, retro forward controls.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Sadly Fozzy and I have to cancel our route 66 trip due to weather on the route.

We want to see the route at its best and with all the flooding we think we will have to put it off for another year. :( :( :(

We have decided to take a tour down to Key West Florida from late june into mid july. We will travel down the coast line taking in the ocean views. Lots of campsites all the way down. That and a stop at the ragged ass saloon, should be a nice ride.
http://www.raggedasssaloon.com/

Not as excited about this trip but still will make for a good adventure and ride.

Anyone got any ideas of some good site to stop at.

RandyGuy
Iron Butt

Post by RandyGuy »

Wolfman wrote:Anyone got any ideas of some god site to stop at.]
Sorry Im an Atheist, cant help ya ! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am what I am and that's all that I am !

Dirt Road
Iron Butt

Post by Dirt Road »

Wolf, you guys gotta go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel!!

I am dyin dyin dyin dyin did I mention dyin to ride across that crazy ass thing!
The Bridge-Tunnel project is a four-lane 20-mile-long vehicular toll crossing of the lower Chesapeake Bay. The facility carries US 13, the main north-south highway on Virginia's Eastern Shore, and provides the only direct link between Virginia's Eastern Shore and south Hampton Roads, Virginia. The crossing consists of a series of low-level trestles interrupted by two approximately one-mile-long tunnels beneath Thimble Shoals and Chesapeake navigation channels. The manmade islands, each approximately 5.25 acres in size, are located at each end of the two tunnels. There are also high level bridges over two other navigation channels: North Channel Bridge and Fisherman Inlet Bridge. Finally, between North Channel and Fisherman Inlet, the facility crosses at-grade over Fisherman Island, a barrier island which includes the Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuge administered by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Link love here

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

RandyGuy wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Anyone got any ideas of some god site to stop at.]
Sorry Im an Atheist, cant help ya ! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: me too.

Did not even see that. All fixed up now. good dam fingers (see there is the missing "o") now I have to fix this one. :nono: :nono: :nono: not in vane. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks for the tip Keon14. I think Fozzy's plan was to hit that bridge/tunnel, looks crazy. We still are getting the trip logged out still but hope it is still a good ride. Just not as excited after the floods across the Route.

I am sure when we get going though it will be a ride to remember. :cheers: